Simple Cooking

A collection of recipes from anywhere and everywhere.

More About Me...

I am an Indian, born in Calcutta and raised and educated mostly in Delhi. I have travelled and lived a fair bit around the world and continue to live outside India currently. Cooking is a passion. I find it therapeutic and its my own private world. I cook, I eat, therefore I am!

Another Tit-Bit...

The blog is of food that I cook. Some of the recipes are my own but the majority are collected from various sources - my mother's and sister's recipes, scoured from the web, pestered from relatives, begged from restaurant chefs where I have eaten, shared by friends...and so on. But all of them, I have cooked myself, at least once.

Recipe for Sausage Spaghetti

Again a pretty simple recipe. You need to use fresh sausages, not the frozen, mass produced ones, because with the frozen ones you cant get the meat out of the casings and the fresh ones taste much better. If you cant find the sweet sausage, just use the plain fresh sausage.

This is what you need:

1 large sweet sausage
1 large hot and spicy sausage
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
3/4 large (28 oz) can of whole tomatoes
Olive oil
1 lb (16 oz) spaghetti pasta
Salt
Grated Parmesan cheese

This is how it is cooked

For the Sauce:
Take the sausage meat out of the sausage casings. Break up into pieces and mix the sweet and spicy sausage meats together. Alternatively, if its only plain sausages that you can get your hands on, just add cayenne powder and crushed pepper to the skillet when adding the sausages. Brown the sausage meat in a large skillet on medium high or high heat with a little olive oil. In a separate skillet sauté the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent. Purée the tomatoes in a blender, add to the skillet with the sausage meat. Add the cooked onions and garlic.

For the Spaghetti

Fill a pot at least half full with water and bring to a boil. Add a tablespoon of salt. Slowly add the pasta, stirring to prevent clumping. Allow the water to come to a boil again. Cook, uncovered, with a fairly vigorous boil, for as long as the directions on the pasta package say, usually about 10-12 minutes. When pasta is al dente (good to bite but not too soft), remove the pot from the heat. Add a cup or two of cold water to the pasta to stop the cooking. Drain the water from the pasta through a colander. Mix in the sauce and coat the spaghetti evenly.

Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment