Simple Cooking

A collection of recipes from anywhere and everywhere.

More About Me...

I am an Indian, born in Calcutta and raised and educated mostly in Delhi. I have travelled and lived a fair bit around the world and continue to live outside India currently. Cooking is a passion. I find it therapeutic and its my own private world. I cook, I eat, therefore I am!

Another Tit-Bit...

The blog is of food that I cook. Some of the recipes are my own but the majority are collected from various sources - my mother's and sister's recipes, scoured from the web, pestered from relatives, begged from restaurant chefs where I have eaten, shared by friends...and so on. But all of them, I have cooked myself, at least once.

Recipe for Kabab Barg

Alright, now I am a huge fan of Persian food and the delicate tastes, aroma and history of their culture is absolutely second to none. Besides the love of their food, the people are one of the most hospitable and civilzed. Persians are not arabs and most of them would like you to know that as well. As a very young child I have spent a great time in Tehran and many times, I would walk into my neighbour's house as a 3 year old and eat with their kids while they would do the same. As an adult I rediscovered their food when living in the Middle East.

Amongst the many Kebabs (remember that this is where Kebabs originated from), the Kebab Burgh is amongst my favourite.

These are great when barbecuing and you can have these with the traditional bread, Khaboos or Kamachi.

Here is what you need

800 grams boneless lamb
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 large grated onions
1 clove of garlic (crushed)
4 medium tomatos
1/2 teaspoon saffron
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sumac (optional)

This is how to make it

Prepare marinade: combine olive oil, lime juice, onions, garlic, saffron, salt and black
pepper. Cut lamb into 1 cm thick and 4-5 cm long pieces. Do not remove all the fat as
you will need it to melt. Marinate overnight (preferrably 24 hours) in refrigerator.
Container should be covered.

Thread lamb on long, thin metal skewers. Thread whole tomatoes separately on another
skewer. Brush with marinade. Barbeque for about 5 minutes on each side, turning
frequently.

In case, you are not barbecuing and are not too keen on turning on the oven, the kebab can also be fried lightly and cooked covered in a non stick pan. Due to the marination, it will cook in about within 20 minutes. Be sure to turn it around occasionally to avoid burning it.

Divine, I tell you, divine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment