Simple Cooking

A collection of recipes from anywhere and everywhere.

More About Me...

I am an Indian, born in Calcutta and raised and educated mostly in Delhi. I have travelled and lived a fair bit around the world and continue to live outside India currently. Cooking is a passion. I find it therapeutic and its my own private world. I cook, I eat, therefore I am!

Another Tit-Bit...

The blog is of food that I cook. Some of the recipes are my own but the majority are collected from various sources - my mother's and sister's recipes, scoured from the web, pestered from relatives, begged from restaurant chefs where I have eaten, shared by friends...and so on. But all of them, I have cooked myself, at least once.

Recipe for Burmese Chicken

For those who dont know where Burma is, its capital Rangoon might ring some bells. If not, Burma is a small kingdom, very cut off from the rest of the world, to the west of India and south of China. Its not completely oriental and is close to the Indian sub-continent, thus getting influences from both these culture. The Burmese are mainly hill people. America seems to be slowly discovering Burmese cooking, thanks to new restaurants like the one mentioned in Washington Post suggests.

The Kaukse is a chicken recipe, I picked it up from the net and have since cooked it a number of times. It is coconut based has full taste but is not hot and spicy and is to be eaten with rice.

This is what you need

1 chicken-cooked, de-boned and cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups thick coconut milk
3 large onions-finely sliced
3 cloves garlic-crushed
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1 cup thin coconut milk
4 eggs hard boiled chopped
small coriander leaves-chopped
green chillies-chopped
chilli oil (1 tsp of chilli powder and 2 tbsp of olive oil cooked together for a minute)

This is how to cook it

Cook thick coconut milk in a saucepan, stirring constantly, until it is very oily.Add half the onions and all the garlic and fry, stirring, until they start to color.Add chicken and cook, stirring constantly for a few minutes. Set aside. Mix chickpea flour with cold water to form a thin cream. Add thin coconut milk to the pan and when it comes to a boil stir in the chickpea flour mixture. Cook and stir constantly until it thickens a little.Add the chicken and onion mixture, and simmer 3-5 minutes.Stir in chilli oil and remove from the heat. Garnish chopped hard boiled eggs, raw onions, coriander and green chillies.

Eat with rice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment