Simple Cooking

A collection of recipes from anywhere and everywhere.

More About Me...

I am an Indian, born in Calcutta and raised and educated mostly in Delhi. I have travelled and lived a fair bit around the world and continue to live outside India currently. Cooking is a passion. I find it therapeutic and its my own private world. I cook, I eat, therefore I am!

Another Tit-Bit...

The blog is of food that I cook. Some of the recipes are my own but the majority are collected from various sources - my mother's and sister's recipes, scoured from the web, pestered from relatives, begged from restaurant chefs where I have eaten, shared by friends...and so on. But all of them, I have cooked myself, at least once.

Recipe for Posto Chicken

Ok. This is an another Indian recipe and comes from the western region of the country, West Bengal, where I was born. Posto is basically poppy seeds. Poppy Seeds are banned in the Middle East and maybe in some other regions but in most places of the world, especially in India and Bangladesh, it is a very common food ingredient. Actually, eat Posto preparations with Rice, and an immediate afternoon nap will follow, guaranteed....quite blissful really!

So here's what you need:

500 gm chicken pieces
4 medium sized onions- chopped
4 green chillies
2 tbsp grated coconut (or prepackaged dry coconut powder)
2 tbsp poppy seeds (posto)
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
2 cardamoms
2 cloves
5 cloves of garlic
1/2 inch ginger
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
salt to taste
4 tbsp oil
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder

This is how to cook it

Make a fine paste of poppy seeds, green chillies, grated coconut, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, ginger and garlic. Ok, now in most traditional Indian houses, this is not really a problem, but for those outside of India, we need to do this differently. The paste cant be done in a mixer since its wet. So we need to do it dry. Grind only the dry ingredient, that is, dry coconut powder, poppy seeds, Heat kadai and put oil to heat. Now add onions, fry until they turned into golden brown.Add cleaned chicken, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt.Fry for 8 to 10 minutes on high flame or until the chicken pieces change its colour. Add the posto paste prepared in step 1 to this and fry for another 5 to 8 minutes.Add water depending on how much gravy is desired and wait until the chicken is soft and tender.Posto chicken is now ready to be served, add coriander leaves on top before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment