Simple Cooking

A collection of recipes from anywhere and everywhere.

More About Me...

I am an Indian, born in Calcutta and raised and educated mostly in Delhi. I have travelled and lived a fair bit around the world and continue to live outside India currently. Cooking is a passion. I find it therapeutic and its my own private world. I cook, I eat, therefore I am!

Another Tit-Bit...

The blog is of food that I cook. Some of the recipes are my own but the majority are collected from various sources - my mother's and sister's recipes, scoured from the web, pestered from relatives, begged from restaurant chefs where I have eaten, shared by friends...and so on. But all of them, I have cooked myself, at least once.

What is?

What is Deglazing?

Deglazing is a fancy and intimidating word that means to pour some cold liquid into a very hot pan to get up all the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Those brown bits are where all the flavors are, and it is called “fond.”
Fond is French for “bottom,” so let’s stick to calling it fond!

You probably deglaze all the time without even realizing it:
• When you pour water into the roasting pan to make gravy• When you add some chicken stock to a pan of sautéed onions• When you pour some wine into the pan that you roasted the pork in

Pasta, Spaghetti. Macaroni?

Pasta is the generic word. Spaghetti and Macaroni are only two types of more than 50 types of Pastas. Some of them are Fettucine, Fusilli, Bucatini, Conchiglie, Rigatoni, Lasagne, Spaghetti, Macaroni and more.
For more, check this link.


What is Thyme?


Thyme is a well known herb. It is a good source of iron and is used widely in cooking. Thyme, while flavourful, does not overpower and blends well with other herbs and spices. It is sold both fresh and dried. The fresh form is more flavourful but also less convenient; storage life is rarely more than a week. While summer-seasonal, fresh thyme is often available year-round. For more, see this link.

0 comments:

Post a Comment