Simple Cooking

A collection of recipes from anywhere and everywhere.

More About Me...

I am an Indian, born in Calcutta and raised and educated mostly in Delhi. I have travelled and lived a fair bit around the world and continue to live outside India currently. Cooking is a passion. I find it therapeutic and its my own private world. I cook, I eat, therefore I am!

Another Tit-Bit...

The blog is of food that I cook. Some of the recipes are my own but the majority are collected from various sources - my mother's and sister's recipes, scoured from the web, pestered from relatives, begged from restaurant chefs where I have eaten, shared by friends...and so on. But all of them, I have cooked myself, at least once.

Recipe for Chicken In White Gravy

Also called Safed Murgh in Hindi. The recipe has poppy seeds as a part of the ingredients in it but in moderation unlike the the sleep factor of Posto Chicken. Should ideally be accompanied with the traditional Indian bread - roti or naan but even French bread goes well with this.

This is what we need

1 kg chicken - cut into approx. 8 pieces
1/4 cup ghee (for the more calories conscious, use 1/8 cup oil and i/8 cup ghee, or you can go completely with oil)
1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
1/2 tsp whole peppercorns (sabut kali mirch)
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1/4 cup cashewnuts-soaked and ground to a paste
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp sugar
4 tbsp coriander leaves - finely chopped
2 tbsp cornflour dissolved in 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup milk

Here's how to cook it

Place the chicken in a saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and then simmer till cooked through (about 20 minutes).

When cool, drain the chicken pieces and mix the milk and the stock together and make up to 2 cups adding more water if required.

Heat the ghee in a heavy based pan and add the zeera and peppercorns. When they splutter, add the ginger and garlic, and saute till a little darker in color. Add the salt and ground paste and stir well to mix.

Add to this the chicken, the stock and milk mixture and bring to a boil.

Add the cornflour mixture, bring to a boil again, then simmer for 2 minutes.

Add the vinegar, sugar and half the coriander leaves, mix and serve hot garnished with the rest of the coriander leaves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment