Simple Cooking

A collection of recipes from anywhere and everywhere.

More About Me...

I am an Indian, born in Calcutta and raised and educated mostly in Delhi. I have travelled and lived a fair bit around the world and continue to live outside India currently. Cooking is a passion. I find it therapeutic and its my own private world. I cook, I eat, therefore I am!

Another Tit-Bit...

The blog is of food that I cook. Some of the recipes are my own but the majority are collected from various sources - my mother's and sister's recipes, scoured from the web, pestered from relatives, begged from restaurant chefs where I have eaten, shared by friends...and so on. But all of them, I have cooked myself, at least once.

Recipe for Chicken Kolhapur

This is a recipe I learnt from my wife who is vegetarian by the way! Well, she cooks it for me and does not even taste it but it always turns out the tops. It is a somewhat laborious recipe but is definitely worth the effort. Oh yes, its an Indian chicken recipe. Goes well with Naan or bread ideally but is fine with rice also.

So here's what you need

1 kg chicken
2/3 cup yoghurt
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp red chilli
1 tsp garlic paste
salt to taste
1 tsp lime juice
2 tsp oil
1 bay leaf
2 pieces cinnamon
6 pieces cloves
1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
2 medium onions
2 tsp grated coconut
1 large cut tomato
2 tsp oil
1 tsp coriander leaves

And this is how it is cooked

Mix turmeric powder, red chillies, garlic paste, salt, and lime juice with curd. The marinade is ready. Add the cut chicken pieces to the marinade and leave aside for half an hour.

Heat oil in pan.Add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, crushed black pepper and chopped onions. Saute till onions turn translucent. Add grated coconut. Saut?ill coconut color changes. Add tomatoes. Cook for 10-15 minutes.

Cool and puree the mix in a blender. If the puree is too hot, you can damage the mixer, so let it cool to a little more than room temperature. The Kolhapur masala is ready.

Heat oil and add the marinated chicken to the pan. Cook for 20 minutes on low fire. Be careful to keep the gas low, otherwise you will end up making it too dry. Stir regularly. Add paste and simmer on low flame for 5 minutes. Kolhapur chicken is ready.

Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.

Dont forget to lick you fingers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment