Simple Cooking

A collection of recipes from anywhere and everywhere.

More About Me...

I am an Indian, born in Calcutta and raised and educated mostly in Delhi. I have travelled and lived a fair bit around the world and continue to live outside India currently. Cooking is a passion. I find it therapeutic and its my own private world. I cook, I eat, therefore I am!

Another Tit-Bit...

The blog is of food that I cook. Some of the recipes are my own but the majority are collected from various sources - my mother's and sister's recipes, scoured from the web, pestered from relatives, begged from restaurant chefs where I have eaten, shared by friends...and so on. But all of them, I have cooked myself, at least once.

Recipe for Burmese Dry Chicken Curry

Ok now that you know where Burma is (yeah! yeah!), here's another recipe from Burma, I came across and cooked very recently. Came out well and unlike Indian food, its not too spicy. The hotness quotient is subjective.

This is a somewhat dry recipe unlike the full on curry like Kaukse.

Here's what you need

2 Onions, rough chopped
5 Cloves garlic, rough chopped
1/2 Inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
2 sticks of lemon grass, roughly chopped
2 Red chillis seeded and chopped (habaneros work well, you'll need rather more Thai chillis)
1tbsp Fish sauce (nam pla)
1 tsp Ground turmeric
4 tbsp Veg oil
1 kg Chicken cut into curry pieces
4 Green (or two black) cardamon pods
2 tbsp rough chopped coriander/cilantro leaf
Salt and fresh ground black pepper

Here's how to cook it:

Grind the first 7 ingredients (ie up to and including the turmeric) together into a smooth paste (food processor/pestle and mortar etc). Heat oil in wide frying pan or wok and add paste, stiry-fry until moisture has evaporated and paste has started to brown. Add chicken pieces and stir well, scrape bottom of pan to prevent sticking. THis wont be a problem if you are using a non stick. Cover tightly and simmer for 35-45 minutes - there should be enough liquid given off from the chicken during cooking but check now and then and stir. If chicken does get too dry and starts sticking/burning (and it's never happened to me) add a tablespoon or so of water and stir in, scraping residue off bottom of pan.
Shortly before chicken is ready slit open cardamom pods and extract seeds, crush seeds in pestle and mortar and add to chicken with coriander leaf, stir and simmer for a further minute or so, taste and adjust seasoning.
Serve with plain rice or coconut rice.

Goes great with Singha or Tiger Beer..hic!

0 comments:

Post a Comment