Simple Cooking

A collection of recipes from anywhere and everywhere.

More About Me...

I am an Indian, born in Calcutta and raised and educated mostly in Delhi. I have travelled and lived a fair bit around the world and continue to live outside India currently. Cooking is a passion. I find it therapeutic and its my own private world. I cook, I eat, therefore I am!

Another Tit-Bit...

The blog is of food that I cook. Some of the recipes are my own but the majority are collected from various sources - my mother's and sister's recipes, scoured from the web, pestered from relatives, begged from restaurant chefs where I have eaten, shared by friends...and so on. But all of them, I have cooked myself, at least once.

Recipe for Vegetable Stew


This is a meal by itself. You can have it with any bread or even on its own.
Again, you can add whatever vegetables suits your style. The more colourful the veggies, the better it looks!
Its healthy and you can tell your girlfriend, how careful you are about what you eat. Can't say if that will take you places though but good luck!
What you need -
225g Tin Chopped Tomatoes (2 medium fresh tomatoes will of course do even better)
225g Mushrooms 225g (8oz)
Green Beans 235ml (8floz)
2 cubes Vegetable Stock
2 Onions 2 Carrots
2 Red Peppers
2 Celery Sticks
1-2 Garlic Cloves
1 Courgette (optional - I wasnt too happy with it but my wife loved it)
1 tbsp Tomato Puree
1-2 tsp Worcestershire or Soy Sauce (Worcestershire sauce is a somewhat acquired taste for non-Europeans, so the Soy Sauce is a good substitute for others)
1 tsp Chilli Flakes (or slit chillies for some punch)
1tsp Sugar
1tbsp Oil
Salt and Pepper, to taste

How it is done-
Peel and slice the onions and carrots. Brush and slice the mushrooms into quarters. Remove the 'strings' from the beans and cut into bite sized pieces. Quarter the peppers, remove the seeds and pith (the central whitish part), then slice Wash and chop the celery. Wash and slice the courgette. Finely chop or crush the garlic. Place some oil into a large saucepan and gently fry the onions until transparent. Add the garlic, mushrooms, carrots, beans, pepper, celery and courgette. Breathe in deep -Aroma! Aroma!. Not essential but would do your ego well!!!
Continue cooking for a few minutes. Add the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt, whole pepper, chilli flakes (if used) and season to taste. Now add 4 cups of water and the stock. Stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
Serves: 4-6 (you can halve the amounts to make it for a smaller portion)

0 comments:

Post a Comment