Simple Cooking

A collection of recipes from anywhere and everywhere.

More About Me...

I am an Indian, born in Calcutta and raised and educated mostly in Delhi. I have travelled and lived a fair bit around the world and continue to live outside India currently. Cooking is a passion. I find it therapeutic and its my own private world. I cook, I eat, therefore I am!

Another Tit-Bit...

The blog is of food that I cook. Some of the recipes are my own but the majority are collected from various sources - my mother's and sister's recipes, scoured from the web, pestered from relatives, begged from restaurant chefs where I have eaten, shared by friends...and so on. But all of them, I have cooked myself, at least once.

Recipe for Tomato Scrambled Eggs

Eggs....one of the first things I learned to cook, or rather decided to cook on my own was eggs. I made an omlette when I was 10. My mother was away to her friends house and I decided to somethin else than just raiding the fridge for leftovers. What a clever boy I was.....I didnt burn down the house and live to tell the tale.

Now this dish was taught to me by Andre, an Italian classmate of mine who couldn't believe that I was skipping breakfast since I never had the time to eat something before the classes. Even though I did not start having breakfasts well after graduating, I have made this a number of times for the family on weekends. Thank you Andre. Just for the records, I did teach Andre to teach Butter Chicken, so we are even!

The trick to this dish is to reduce the tomato mixture to thick sauce that won't break and liquefy when added to the eggs. If you've never made scrambled eggs this way before, you are in for a treat. Steady, slow cooking turns them incredibly creamy. Add a sliced tomato or avocado as a tasty side.

This is what is needed (to serve 4):

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion sliced
4garlic cloves chopped
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
8 eggs
1/4 stick of butter or two tsp full butter
1/4 cup freshly sliced basil
handful of chopped chicken/turkey/ham

This is how to cook it

Heat oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion 5 minutes, until softened; add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add roasted peppers, tomatoes, and cayenne. Cover and cook 10 minutes, until vegetables are very soft, stirring occasionally. Uncover and simmer over medium heat until sauce is thick, about 10 minutes, stirring often. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Mixture can be made up to 2 days ahead and reheated).

In a large bowl, beat eggs until blended. In large nonstick skillet, melt butter over low heat. Add eggs and basil. Cook, stirring constantly with rubber spatula, 10 minutes, until soft blobs form and eggs are barely set.

Add pepper mixture and chopped chicken; stir just until mixed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment